Here’s what you need to know…
• Using a thumbless grip on overhead pressing allows for a better path of the bar by bringing it in closer to the centerline of the body. It’s also easier on the shoulders and wrists.
• Start with a shoulder-width grip. As a visual cue, rotate your hands back towards your delts. If your thumb grazes the outside of them, you’ve got it right.
• Contract your glutes, abs, and quads when you press. The more tension you have throughout the body, the stronger you’ll be.
• Activate the biceps on the eccentric portion of the press. When you lower the bar, think about doing a sort of hammer curl towards your face/ears.
• Press with a purpose. That means press with violence and hate. Try to think about throwing it through the ceiling.
Lots of guys these days shit on any form of seated press, but I’m not sure why. The entire purpose of pressing overhead is simply to build bigger and stronger shoulders. Whether you’re seated or standing doesn’t really matter unless you’re a competitive strongman and … (read more here)
Press 70kg x5x5x5x5x7
Weighted Chins 24kg x5x5x5x5x6 (between press sets)
EZ Curls 30kg x10x10x10x10x10
Lat Raise 7.5kg x15x15x14 (superset with rear flyes)
Machine Rear Delt (5) x15x15x10+5 (superset with lat raise)
Press 57.5kg x5, 65kg x3, 72.5kg x7 then a drop set of 55kg x7 (60s rest)
DB Press 20kg x10x10x9x8x7
EZ Curls 30kg x10x10x10x10x8 (30s rest)
Machine Rear Delt (6) x10x10x10x10 (superset with lat raise)
DB Lat Raise 7.5kg x10x10x10x10 (superset with rear delt) – 60s rest, stopwatch started at end of rear delt reps, but lat raise then performed so approx 30s between supersets
Press 55kg x3, 62.5kg x3, 67.5kg x9 then drop set of 55kg x8 (60s rest)
DB Press 22.5kg x10x9, 20kg x10, 17.5kg x9x9 (60s)
EZ Curls 30kg x10x10x10 (60s)
DB Rear Raise 12.5kg x10x10x9 (superset with lat raise)
DB Lat Raise 10kg x10, 7.5kg x10x9 (superset with rear raise then 60s rest)
Seated Shoulder Press 65kg x5x5x8
V Grip Pulldown (10) x15x15x15 (between press sets)
Dips x20x20x13 (60s rest)
45 Degree Leg Press 320kg x20
Seated Press 67.5kg x4x4x7
V Grip Pulldown (14) x12x9x8 (between press sets)
Deadlift 167.5kg x3
Machine Lever Deadlift 200kg x3x3
Seated Shoulder Press 65kg x5x5x7
‘V’ Grip Pulldown (14) x11x9x8 (between press sets)
Dips x25x14x10 (60s rest) – Great to be doing dips again now my shoulders up to it 🙂
Deadlift 165kg x5
Bit of a change up recently, too much sway back on my Presses lately so shifting to seated for a while to try and rectify it. Weighted Dip/Chin belt broken so can’t do either hence the pulldowns and dips.
Press 72.5kg x4x4x7
V Grip Pulldown (14) x9x8x7 (after each press set)
EZ Tricep Extensions x12x8, 45kg x8x6
Deadlift 162.5kg x7
Press 72.5kg x3x3x5, followed up with 60kg x8 (60s rest) – still a slight niggle in shoulder, but it’s not massively affecting lifts
Weighted Chins 30kg x6x5 (between press sets), followed up with Reverse Grip Pulldown (13) x14 (60s rest)
EZ Tricep Extensions 47.5kg x10x8, 45kg x7x6 (60s rest)
Deadlift 160kg x5
Later in day taught a SPIN class