Here’s what you need to know…
• Using a thumbless grip on overhead pressing allows for a better path of the bar by bringing it in closer to the centerline of the body. It’s also easier on the shoulders and wrists.
• Start with a shoulder-width grip. As a visual cue, rotate your hands back towards your delts. If your thumb grazes the outside of them, you’ve got it right.
• Contract your glutes, abs, and quads when you press. The more tension you have throughout the body, the stronger you’ll be.
• Activate the biceps on the eccentric portion of the press. When you lower the bar, think about doing a sort of hammer curl towards your face/ears.
• Press with a purpose. That means press with violence and hate. Try to think about throwing it through the ceiling.
Lots of guys these days shit on any form of seated press, but I’m not sure why. The entire purpose of pressing overhead is simply to build bigger and stronger shoulders. Whether you’re seated or standing doesn’t really matter unless you’re a competitive strongman and … (read more here)
Press 85kg x1, 70kg x6, 60kg x6 (60s rest)
DB Standing Overhead Press 25kg x10, 22.5kg x9, 20kg x9x8x7 (60s)
EZ Curls 25kg x10x10x10x10x10 (60s)
DB Rear Raise 10kg x10x10x10 (Superset with Lat Raise)
DB Lat Raise 10kg x10, 7.5kg x10x9 (Superset with Rear Raise)
After last Bench session, shoulder has inflamed again! tendonitis in left shoulder. Pretty sure it’s due to the fact I’m only training twice a week at present so putting too much emphasis on the main lifts and not enough on the additional work.
I’m going to take the rest of December to rehab the shoulders and strengthen posterior chain (still working on those deadlifts!) so a big focus on back/rotator cuff/scapular control and whilst I’m at it, some glute/hamstring strengthening as well.
DB Seated Shoulder Press 26kg x10x9, 24kg x7, 20kg x10x9 (90secs between sets)
Smith Behind Neck Press (seated) 35kg x8, 35kg x8x8
Close-Grip Bench 100kg x3, 90kg x6, 80kg x8 (last two paused) (90s)
Dips x15x13x11x9x7x5 (no rest – just as superset with abs)
Ab Sling Knees to Elbows x10 between every set for a total of 160 reps
Been having some shoulder issues again recently so threw in a shoulder & tricep workout today which showed up a weakness on my left side (from previous injury) – Going to bring back some direct rotator cuff work and more DB’s to sort it – I hope!
Seated Press 70kg x3x3x5
V Grip Pulldown(14) x13x10x9 (between press sets)
Dips x27x15x12 (60s rest)
45 Degree Leg Press 380kg x10
Seated Shoulder Press 65kg x5x5x7
‘V’ Grip Pulldown (14) x11x9x8 (between press sets)
Dips x25x14x10 (60s rest) – Great to be doing dips again now my shoulders up to it 🙂
Deadlift 165kg x5
Bit of a change up recently, too much sway back on my Presses lately so shifting to seated for a while to try and rectify it. Weighted Dip/Chin belt broken so can’t do either hence the pulldowns and dips.
Press 72.5kg x4x4x7
V Grip Pulldown (14) x9x8x7 (after each press set)
EZ Tricep Extensions x12x8, 45kg x8x6
Deadlift 162.5kg x7
Press 72.5kg x3x3x5, followed up with 60kg x8 (60s rest) – still a slight niggle in shoulder, but it’s not massively affecting lifts
Weighted Chins 30kg x6x5 (between press sets), followed up with Reverse Grip Pulldown (13) x14 (60s rest)
EZ Tricep Extensions 47.5kg x10x8, 45kg x7x6 (60s rest)
Deadlift 160kg x5
Later in day taught a SPIN class
Press 70kg x5x5x8
Weighted Chins (between Press sets) 30kg x5x5, then after 60s Reverse Grip Pulldown (13) x14
EZ Tricep Extensions 45kg x12x10x8x6 (60s rest)
Power Clean & Press 60kg x5, 80kg x3, 90kgx1, 100kgx1x1
Deadlift 155kg x8